Agenda and draft minutes

Community Safety Committee - Thursday, 9 September 2021 7.00 pm

Venue: Council Chamber, Council Offices, Foster Avenue, Beeston NG9 1AB

Contact: Email: committees@broxtowe.gov.uk 

Media

Items
No. Item

11.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Members are requested to declare the existence and nature of any disclosable pecuniary interest and/or other interest in any item on the agenda.

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

12.

MINUTES pdf icon PDF 115 KB

The Committee is asked to confirm as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held on 27 May 2021.

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting on the 27 May 2021 were confirmed and signed as a correct record.

13.

CHAYAH DEVELOPMENT PROJECT PRESENTATION

Minutes:

The Committee received a presentation from the Chayah Development Project.

14.

UPDATE FROM NEIGHBOURHOOD POLICING INSPECTOR

Minutes:

The Committee received apologies from the Neighbourhood Policing Inspector who was not able to attend due to an emergency.

15.

UPDATE ON THE POLICE AND CRIME PANEL

Minutes:

The Committee was updated on the work of the Police and Crime Panel by Councillor R D Macrae. 

16.

TROWELL ODOUR ISSUE

An update will be provided to the Committee at the meeting.

Minutes:

The Committee received a presentation on the Trowel odour issue from the Environment Agency.

17.

MODERN SLAVERY AND HUMAN TRAFFICKING STATEMENT pdf icon PDF 9 KB

To advise Committee of an updated Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking Statement for 2021-22.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered the Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking Statement 2021 – 2022.  It was noted that there were 27 people getting assistance from multi-agency groups as there were at high risk of violence and exploitation.  It was agreed that Councillors were particularly well placed to identify cases of modern slavery.

 

RESOLVED that the Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking Statement 2021-22, with a minor amendment, be approved.

18.

THEFT OF BICYCLES pdf icon PDF 181 KB

To inform Committee of the current position regarding bicycle theft in the Borough.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Bicycle thefts in the Borough were considered, with debate focussing on the high number of incidents in Beeston.  The Committee noted with interest the interventions relating to the prevention of cycle thefts that had been carried out, but there was concern that there was no coherent plan of action for Councillors to scrutinise.

 

It was proposed by Councillor B C Carr and seconded by Councillor R D MacRae that a Bicycle Theft Prevention Plan be added to the Work Programme. 

 

            RESOLVED that a Bicycle Theft Prevention Plan be added to the Work Programme. 

19.

DOMESTIC ABUSE pdf icon PDF 482 KB

To update the Committee of the Council’s domestic abuse activities and achieving White Ribbon Accreditation.

 

Minutes:

The Committee noted the report on Domestic Abuse.

20.

SAFEGUARDING CHILDREN AND SAFEGUARDING ADULTS REFERRALS pdf icon PDF 102 KB

To advise Members on numbers and type of referrals made in respect of safeguarding children, safeguarding adults, and cases referred to the Complex Case Panel.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee noted the numbers and types of safeguarding referrals, along with the number of cases considered by other panels.

21.

PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT - REVIEW OF BUSINESS PLAN PROGRESS-COMMUNITY SAFETY pdf icon PDF 378 KB

To report progress against outcome targets identified in the Housing Business Plan, linked to Corporate Plan priorities and objectives, and to provide an update as to the latest key performance indicators therein.

Minutes:

The Committee noted the progress made in achieving the Community Safety Business Plan 2021 – 24.

22.

STAPLEFORD ACTION PLAN AND STAPLEFORD PLACE FUND pdf icon PDF 105 KB

To advise Members of the progress of the Stapleford Action Plan and Place Fund to reduce crime and the fear of crime in Stapleford.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Stapleford Action Plan and Stapleford Place Fund report was noted.

23.

WORK PROGRAMME pdf icon PDF 113 KB

To consider items for inclusion in the Work Programme for future meetings.

Minutes:

The Bicycle Theft Prevention Plan, was added to the Work Programme for the meeting of 11 November 2021.  A report on support that could be given to Chayah Group and an update on the Trowell odour issue were added to the business to be considered on 20 January 2022.

 

RESOLVED that the Work Programme, as amended, be approved.

24.

EXCLUSION OF PUBLIC AND PRESS

The Committee is asked to RESOLVE that, under Section 100A of the Local Government Act, 1972, the public and press be excluded from the meeting for the following item of business on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraphs 3 and 7 of Schedule 12A of the Act.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED that, under Section 100A of the Local Government Act, 1972, the public and press be excluded from the meeting for the following item of business on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Paragraphs 3 and 7 of Schedule 12A of the Act.

25.

STAPLEFORD ACTION PLAN APPENDICES

Minutes:

The confidential appendices were noted.